The right pergola could be a game-changer for the functionality of your home. Carefully designed, it can provide the added space your family needs for daily life, and serve as the perfect backdrop for family barbecues, birthdays, and holiday celebrations.
Tips for Designing the Ideal Outdoor Space
- Set the Stage with the Right Hues
To create a harmonious transition from indoors to out, choose color tones for decking and furnishings that complement your home’s color palette. Pro tips for the perfect combination include:
- Selecting a tone for your deck that contrasts interior floors.
- Pairing deck tones with that of your home’s exterior siding.
- Choosing surfaces that will resist heat and fading, such as gray and light browns.
- Splurging on low-maintenance, durable finishes. Finishes that will not require frequent repainting, staining or sealing allow you to spend more time relaxing outdoors (rather than performing maintenance duties).
- Open the Door to Added Living Space
Blur boundaries with doors that allow you to transform your living space and open up views instantly. Which door setup is best for your design?
- Classic – French Doors
The classic lines of French doors provide a 6-foot opening. Designer note: Be mindful of compensating for door swing in your design.
- Modern – Multi-Slide Doors
These doors slide open in different directions, depending on your needs.
- Expansive Views – Bi-Fold Doors
Bi-fold doors stack to allow for expansive, uninterrupted views. However, you’ll require a 9-ft storage spot for stacked doors.
- Classic – French Doors
- Add Shelter to Maximize Enjoyment & Use of the Space
Without adequate shelter, weather can quickly put an end to outdoor activities. Flexible shelter is paramount to the usefulness of your outdoor living addition. Integrating a multifunctional, sleek StuXture adjustable aluminum pergola allows you to enjoy your outdoor space in any weather. Open louvers take full advantage of the sun’s warmth, dial-in the perfect amount of shade, or fully close louvers for complete precipitation protection with the click of a remote control or swipe of a smartphone.
- Create Rooms
Mimic interior design, creating an outdoor layout with designated cooking, dining, and living areas to meet your family’s unique interests and needs. Today’s most popular outdoor living additions include:
- Fully functional outdoor kitchen, complete with grill, cooktop, smoker, fridge, sink, storage, and more.
- Cozy living area with built-in seating, cushy chairs and pillows, and rugs for comfort.
- Football or movie zone with outdoor TV or pop-up projector screen additions.
- Outdoor bath or spa retreat.
- Private reading nook.
- Workout zone for adults.
- Customized play area for the kids.
- Don’t Overlook Essential Details
Avoid cookie-cutter selections, personalizing your outdoor living design with custom features including built-in lighting, ceiling fans, infrared heaters, retractable screens and curtains, and more. These essential accessories allow you to extend outdoor enjoyment into the evening and throughout each season, maximizing your outdoor living investment. Blend your outdoor design seamlessly into your home with custom pergola colors and trim, including corbel ends, architectural columns, faux wood wraps, and more, creating a space ideally suited to your family and home.
Running out of room? Set the stage for a space that is an irresistible extension of your home with the help of the outdoor living experts at Denver Pergola Systems. Create a multifunctional outdoor space as stunning as the interior of your home. Contact our design professionals to learn more today.
This article was previously published at: http://www.denverpergolas.com/extend-your-home-with-a-deck-and-a-pergola/